Sunday, March 6, 2011

One Man's Journey

This blog is a chronicle of my journey in online marketing.  I've actually been drawing a considerable amount of money (not enough to live off of but a nice bonus) from websites that I have operated for years but I have had little success in my attempts to sell products.  I've sold products before but only with the help of paid advertising and I have always spent more on advertising than I've made from sales.
This time I am working with some friends on a new project.  The first positive is that it holds us all accountable.  It is easy to do nothing and just forget about doing the necessary work to get a project up a running but with other people counting on you it eliminates that aspect.
There's a lot of elements involved in creating a good marketing campaign.  There a several ways to make money from a website and selling is just one way.  You can market products specifically or you can advertise generally like the ad for the Amazon Kindle to the left.  (Incidentally, I got one for Christmas and they are very nice!)
Over the weeks and months as I undergo this marketing campaign I'll be posting my thoughts and frustrations on the process.  This time around I'm working with someone who did a lot of research before I even got involved.  In fact I didn't even get involved until a few days before the project launch because someone else dropped out.  But now I'm excited about the possibilities with this new marketing project. 
Just in case you're interested, the first product that we'll be marketing are lock pick sets.  (Only for legal purposes of course.)  You can check out our first site at Buy lock pick sets.

No comments:

Post a Comment